six-ways-pro-bono

Designing in the public interest is often challenging–and controversial. How do you know when to do public interest work and when pro-bono efforts are going towards greater good? In our office with the recent launch of our pro-bono Social Impact Design Initiative and partnership with the 1% Program at Public Architecture, we continue to learn from our work… Read more »

Sarah Peck

Posted by
in Community, Social Impact
on

Be the first to comment

Facebook
Twitter

canoes2

On March 16, 2013, my boyfriend Eric and I embarked on an unusual Saturday morning. We’re a moderately active couple, but we’re full of athletic ambition, so we signed up for the Buffalo Bayou Regatta weeks in advance as one of SWA’s corporate sponsorship teams. When the morning arrived, it was time to prove our… Read more »

Jenny Janis

Posted by
in Bayou By Us, Community
on

Be the first to comment

Facebook
Twitter

swa-joins1percent

Over the past year, a group of designers from all of our offices have been slowly building up a formal library of all of our various pro-bono projects we’ve been a part of over the years. While doing projects above and beyond our client work is nothing new to SWA—our involvement with the Bayous in… Read more »

Sarah Peck

Posted by
on

Be the first to comment

Facebook
Twitter

feast-of-ideas

We were recently in LAM in an article titled ‘A Feast of Ideas’ that questioned how “landscape architecture and the food supply fit together”. This is an excerpt of the published piece: “A recent study by the National Young Farmers’ Coalition identified “lack of access to land” as one of the top challenges facing new… Read more »

EllenBurke

Posted by
in Community, Urban Agriculture
on

1 comment

Facebook
Twitter

Rancho San Ramon Community Park-Bill Tatham-4497.jpg

Is social impact design limited to a design process that engages a community in need, to reach a specific solution or can a meaningful definition also include designs which seek, in some unspecific way, to change a cultural condition for the better, for the public good? When the community to be served is looking for… Read more »

Cinda Gilliland

Posted by
on

Be the first to comment

Facebook
Twitter

rsz_1e38a93f_image--maninawheelchairgarden_2 (1)

I like change. When the timing is right, change is exhilarating. Being the author, or even midwife, of positive change is a worthy life’s work. The innovative work of IDEO is about change and human centered design. IDEO has intrigued me for some time, perhaps in part because they see the role of design as… Read more »

Cinda Gilliland

Posted by
on

Be the first to comment

Facebook
Twitter